- This event has passed.
Early Childhood Growth and Development
February 13, 2021 @ 11:30 am - 1:20 pmFree
While childhood Sleep Disordered Breathing is under diagnosed, the awareness of it is growing. The manner in which a child grows and develops is directly related to the quality of their sleep. The quality of sleep may be effected by a level of airway compromise, which may be related to the growth and development of the jaw structure. We recognize the high levels of malocclusion in children but we often miss the connection to how unhealthy they may be.
This course will connect the dots from malocclusion to the everyday symptoms that children and parents are struggling with.
The participants will be able to
• Understand the history and origins of malocclusion
• Identify normal and abnormal childhood head and neck development from birth to eleven
• Understand the effect of muscle weakness and dysfunction on the development of the upper and lower jaws
• Understand the relationship between Sleep Disorder Breathing and early childhood growth and development
• Understand that non-pharmaceutical treatment options exist
Our Guest Speaker:
Dr. Ben Miraglia graduated from the SUNY at Buffalo School of Dental Medicine. He has 26 years general practice experience in Mt. Kisco, NY, including 17 years interceptive orthodontic experience where his focus has been on early childhood growth and development. Dr. Miraglia lectures nationally on sleep disordered breathing, clear aligner therapy and craniofacial development. He holds faculty positions with Align Technology and is on the Board of Directors of the American Academy of Physiological Medicine and Dentistry. He is on the President’s Council of Northern Westchester Hospital in Mt. Kisco, NY. and is VP Clinical Affairs for Airway Health Solutions. Dr. Miraglia has been recognized multiple times as a “Leader in Continuing Education” by Dentistry Today Magazine.